Girls’ Room Decorating Ideas
As a parent, you may envision your little girl's room to be sugar and spice and everything nice. But truth be told, not all little girls fantasize about sleeping in a pink puffball of a room, tucked away in a castle. Some dream of snoozing under the night sky, while others secretly pine for their brother's racecar shaped bed.
If your little one is old enough to talk and share her opinions, include her in any discussion regarding the décor of her room. You want it to be a place where she feels comfortable. You also want her to feel proud, and unashamed to bring her friends over for playtime and sleepovers. So, give her a say. Get the conversation started by running through these potential themes with your little princess:
She may dream of going on safari, or becoming an exotic veterinarian. Encourage her wild side by choosing a wild animals theme. Use the following:
- Homemade stencils
- Fun animal prints
- Earth tones
- Paint one wall in an animal print. Use homemade stencils made from cardstock to achieve a uniform effect. Don't mix and match animal prints too much, you don't want the room to look too overwrought.
- Stick with earth tones and pops of bright green, with the occasional homage to the African Jungle or Brazilian Rainforest.
This concept also allows you to work her bevy of stuffed animals into the theme!
This is a theme that has the potential to grow up with your daughter, with only a few tweaks needed to make it refined. It also strikes a nice balance between ultra feminine and cosmopolitan. Use the following to add something special:
- Faux flowers
- French poodle designs
- Ultra-feminine color scheme (pink and black)
- Don't go overboard with the Eiffel Tower. While it's a great symbol of Paris, there are many other images to work with.
- Capture Paris's many gardens with realistic faux flowers, or flower stencils along the base of the walls.
- Set up a play area with a café table and chairs.
- Oh, and don't forget to work in a well-placed poodle.
This is a fun concept for a girl who loves science, or simply wants to explore. It also allows her imagination to run wild while decorating. Here are some useful ingredients for your outer space room:
- Star decals
- Blue and black paint
- Cover the ceiling with as many glow-in-the-dark stars as you can find. Include prominent constellations that she can find as she falls asleep.
- Paint the ceiling a dark blue to enhance the effect.
- Aliens and flying saucers are a fun addition too, but make sure they're not too scary looking.
- Put a telescope near the window to enhance the décor and encourage her imagination!
Many girls want a pink room, but pink on it's own isn't a theme. A fashion diva theme is perfect for a girl who loves to dress up. Tries these out:
- Dress-up items
- Fashion accessories
- Make a big, glamorous mirror the centerpiece in this room.
- Embellish it with jewels, feathers, or whatever you can find!
- Also make sure there are plenty of boxes and racks for dress up clothes and shoes.
- Good lighting and a mini-vanity will make her feel like a movie star.
Whether you live on the beach, or a thousand miles away from any form of water, your little girl will love escaping to her tropical oasis. Include these:
- Tropical prints
- Beach-themed painting
- Pick a beach. Is it Hawaii, The Bahamas, The Mediterranean? Draw on the local flavor of your selected destination for inspiration.
- Always use warm colors when decorating to perpetuate a feeling of summer and warmth.
- Go wild with craft projects inspired by seashells she found on your last vacation, or photographs of tropical destinations you've discovered together online.
Camouflage prints are seen as exclusive to boy's rooms, but why should they have all the fun? If your girl is interested in the military, work with her to customize her room! Play with these additions:
- Vintage photos
- Themed posters
- Choose a branch of the military. Is her other parent in the Navy? Go nautical. Army? Use camouflage, but sparingly.
- Select the primary color, not the print, of that branch and make it central in your decoration.
- If you have space, add fun pop up tents or tunnels to enhance the experience.
- Don't be afraid to add feminine touches, like vintage photos or Rosie the Riveter posters.
There's a reason so many fairytales take place in an enchanted forest. They're a place where your little girl's imagination can run wild! Add some stuff like this:
- Earth tone accessories
- Faux plants and vines
- Put a canopy made of sheer green fabric over her bed. Cover it with flowers or vines to make her feel like she's sleeping in the forest.
- Use fairies to enhance the theme (everyone knows they're found in the forest!).
- Make the trees and plants larger than life to make it feel even more like a fairy tale.
Does your girl have a competitive side? Does she dream of playing in the WNBA? Then, this room is for her. Depending on the sport, try these room accessories:
- Basketball hoop
- Baseball bases
- Soccer goal
- There's no reason to choose one sport. Encourage her by including all the sports she's interested in!
- Don't go too matchy-matchy by utilizing typical sports bed sets, lamp covers, etc.
- Use her favorite color as a starting point, and subtly incorporate the sports.
- Include a basketball hoop on top of her laundry basket, or place bases around the room!