Mother’s Day Gift Ideas From The Garden
Look around your garden for some fun gift ideas that mom will enjoy and bring her special family memories. A garden contains a bounty of flowers that can be arranged in cute containers and decorated with accents that have sentimental meaning.
Flower Arrangement Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
Flower arrangements are popular for DIY Mother’s Day gifts. It isn’t necessary to spend a lot of money to give mom the gift of flowers. Look no farther than your garden for some bright and colorful flowers. An attractive container can be found in the back of a kitchen cupboard or stashed away in the shed.
When designing a special flower arrangement for mom, start with a unique and unusual container. Anything that will hold live plants or cut flowers can be used as a container. Here are some ideas:
- Rummage through the closets to uncover interesting baskets, bowls, trays, jewelry boxes and hat boxes.
- Dig through the garage or a shed in search of galvanized pails and washtubs, watering cans and birdhouses.
- The kitchen may contain old colanders, copper dessert molds, mason jars, beverage bottles, tin food cans, porcelain pitchers and teapots.
- Plain glass and tin containers can be decorated with beads, buttons, fabric, lace, rope and paint.
When choosing flowers for the arrangement, select flowers that mom will enjoy. Find her favorite flower or plant as the centerpiece of the arrangement. Use her favorite color as the central color of the arrangement. Or, for a traditional Mother’s Day flower arrangement, use roses, tulips, calla lilies, Gerbera daisies and Peruvian lilies.
Every flower arrangement needs a few added touches to make it complete. For DIY Mother’s Day gifts, make these decorations meaningful to mom. Here are a few flourishes for a Mother’s Day floral arrangement:
- Pictures of children and grandchildren, their handprints and footprints, and children’s artwork.
- Small jewelry items such as earrings and necklaces.
- Homemade goodies such as cookies or candies.
- Small ornaments that have special meaning to mom such as a favorite crystal figurine, baby’s shoes or other ornament.
DIY Cards & Stationery Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
A DIY Mother’s Day gift isn’t complete without a Mother’s Day card. The garden can be another source of inspiration for a unique Mother’s Day card. Design ink stamps from flowers, leaves and vegetables. For example, the cut the end off a bunch of celery looks like a rose and the cut end off a Chinese cabbage looks like a mum. Use pressed flowers to create a card cover.
Here are some tips to create beautiful pressed flowers:
- Some easy to press flowers include apple blossom, baby’s breath, bougainvillea, larkspur, lavender, Queen Anne’s lace, boxwood, dusty miller, rose leaf, English ivy, thyme and yarrow leaf.
- Pick flowers, leaves or herbs when the blooms and leaves are at their peak. The flowers should also be dry.
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper so that the paper is larger than the flower arrangement.
- Arrange the flowers and leaves on one piece of parchment paper. Cover with the second piece of paper.
- Place the flowers between the pages of a book. If doing multiple pressed flowers, leave at least 1/8 inch between pressings.
- Place weights on top of the book and leave for at least two weeks.
Gardening Gift Ideas For Mother’s Day
If mom likes to garden or even if she just enjoys having a few houseplants, give her a miniature garden. Put together a garden kit that contains everything she needs to grow her favorite flower, plant or herb. Here are a few ideas:
- Potted bulbs provide lasting color. Bulbs that can be grown indoors include amaryllis, daffodils, tulips and iris.
- Plant an herb garden in a basket. A variety of small herb plants can be planted in one container and makes a perfect kitchen countertop garden.
- Plant chrysanthemums or daisies in tin cans, glass bowls or other containers easily found around the house.
- Give mom a collection of vegetable transplants such as eggplant, tomato, pepper and squash plants.
DIY Mother’s Day Wreaths Straight From Your Garden
An alternative to the traditional flower arrangement for a DIY Mother’s Day gift is a wreath. Wreaths can be made from a variety of different materials. Many items from the garden are ideal for a decorative and functional Mother’s Day wreath. Dried flowers and herbs are not only attractive, they provide a slight aroma. Pick up a foam wreath base from the craft store, or bend a wire hanger into a circle, leaving the hook in place to hang the wreath. Simply attach the flowers, plants and greenery of your choice to the wire/foam with string or glue.
How to dry herbs and flowers for DIY Mother’s Day gifts:
- Harvest herbs before flowering and pick flowers when the blooms are fresh.
- Cut long stems and preserve only the healthiest branches, leaves and flowers.
- Rinse plants if necessary and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Remove leaves from the bottom inch of each stem.
- Cut several holes in a paper bag.
- Tie in small bundles of 3 or 4 branches and place the bundle upside down in the paper bag.
- Tie the end of the bag closed and hang the bag in a warm and airy room.
The garden can be a surprisingly inspiring place when looking for the perfect DIY Mother’s Day gifts. Spend some time wandering around the garden or at a favorite nursery searching for the perfect plant for mom on Mother’s Day.
For more Mother’s Day ideas, see: