Homemade Hair Treatments
Have you ever taken the time to read the ingredients on some of the most popular hair treatments? If you can’t pronounce them, you probably don’t want them on your head. If you don’t mind a little mess, you can make effective hair treatments from the wholesome ingredients in your own kitchen, and save lots of money at the same time.
DIY Treatments for Reviving Dull Hair
All the products you use to style your hair build up over time, leaving a film of residue that weighs your hair down and dulls its shine. Here are a few easy treatments to help bring dull hair back to life:
- Dairy: Lactic acid contained in dairy strips away residue while the milk fat boosts moisture. Massage some sour cream or plain, whole milk yogurt into hair. Leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water, follow with a cool water rinse and then shampoo as usual.
- Baking soda: Mix a few tablespoons of baking soda with water to form a thick paste. Massage paste into hair and leave on for 15 minutes to strip residue. Rinse away paste and shampoo hair.
Plumping Limp Hair with Beer
If you wish your hair had more body, beer could provide a surprising solution. Here are a few options:
- Spray it on: Put some flat beer in a spray bottle and mist dry hair. The proteins in the beer will add structure to your hair and make it stronger.
- Work it in: Combine a raw egg and a teaspoon of oil with four to six ounces of flat beer. After shampooing, work beer mixture into damp hair, let sit for 15 minutes and rinse away.
Growing Long, Luxurious Tresses with Ginger
Delicious, fragrant ginger is a powerful stimulating and anti-inflammatory herb that increases circulation and may help your hair grow faster! If you’re trying to grow your hair long or dealing with thinning issues, ginger may be just what your hair has been looking for.
To make a ginger hair treatment, just add some high quality ginger powder to some honey or coconut oil to form a paste. For a really luxurious treatment add a few drops of lavender, rosemary or jojoba oil. Massage ginger paste into scalp and leave on for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual.
DIY Treatments for Dandruff
If flakes are an issue for you, try this gentle home treatment:
- Juice of a medium sized lemon
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of warm water
Dampen hair. Mix all ingredients together and massage into damp scalp. Wrap head in a warm, damp towel and wait 20 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual.
DIY Treatments for Soothing Dry or Sunburned Hair
If you’ve spent too much time at the beach or you just have naturally dry hair, here are a few ways to bring some much-needed moisture to your hair and scalp:
- Honey-avocado treatment: Mix honey with a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of mashed avocado. Massage into clean, damp hair and let sit for 20 minutes before rinsing.
- Eggs and oil: Mix two raw, beaten eggs with two tablespoons of olive oil. Massage into hair and scalp and leave on for a half-hour before shampooing out.
Taming Frizzy Hair
A wild mess of frizzy hair on a humid day can drive almost anyone crazy. Try these home hair treatments to tame your mane:
- Massage a tablespoon of almond oil, ¼ cup of honey and ½ cup of sour cream into hair and wash out after 20 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise with a beaten raw egg and two teaspoons of Epsom salt. Massage into hair and leave on a half hour before shampooing.
- Mash up some ripe avocado and massage damp hair after shampooing. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse out.
DIY Dry Shampoo
If you find yourself in the occasional embarrassing predicament of having dirty hair and no time to wash it before you leave the house try pouring a tablespoon of cornstarch or cornmeal into a clean, empty salt or pepper shaker. Sprinkle corn powder onto your roots, leave on a few minutes and brush out powder along with grease and dirt.
More Conditioning Treatments
Here are a few more conditioning hair treatments you can make from everyday household ingredients:
- Eggs: Plain old eggs are great for all hair types. The yolk adds moisture and the white removes undesirable oils. If you have oily hair, just use the whites and to moisturize very dry hair, just use the yolks. Apply any combination of yolk and white you like to clean, damp hair. Let sit for 15 minutes and then rinse with cool water before shampooing.
- Honey and oil: For a deep conditioning treatment, mix equal parts honey and olive oil and massage into hair. Wrap hair in plastic wrap and wait a half-hour before shampooing.
- Strawberries: For a sweet smelling conditioning treatment, blend a cup of strawberries, two and a half tablespoons of olive oil and an egg yolk in a blender or food processor. Massage into hair and leave on 20 minutes before shampooing.
You may have to deal with a little mess in the kitchen or the bathroom, but your homemade treatments should have your hair looking its best in no time. And with the money you’ll save, you’ll be able to go out and show off your beautiful hair to everyone you know.