Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
There are thousands of moisturizers on the market, but if you want a natural moisturizer from ingredients you have at home, give these recipes a try. Before liberally applying any moisturizer to the skin, do a spot test to make sure that the moisturizer does not irritate the skin.
DIY Body Moisturizers
If you’re looking for an easy homemade moisturizer that can also be relaxing, add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to bath water and take a long soak. If you want to get rid of those fine wrinkles around your eyes and lips, dab a drop of castor oil around the eyes and lips before bedtime.
A number of homemade moisturizers use avocado or avocado oil as a main ingredient. Avocados not only soften and moisturize the skin, the sterolins in the avocado also help reduce age spots, heal sun damage and fade scars.
Homemade Avocado Body Moisturizing Rinse Recipe
Here’s a simple avocado moisturizer that will make your skin glow:
- Mix 1 mashed avocado, 1 mashed cooked carrot, 2 tablespoons honey, one beaten egg and 1/4 cup yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- Spread mixture over dry skin areas and leave on the skin for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and follow with a cool water rinse.
Homemade Moisturizing Facial Masks
Facial masks are a great way to not only clean the skin, but to moisturize it as well.
Here’s an avocado face mask recipe for oily skin:
DIY Avocado Face Mask for Oily Skin
- Mix 1 mashed avocado, 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a blender for 1 minute.
- Apply mixture to face (avoid the eye area), especially to oily areas.
- Leave on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse in warm water until all of the mixture is rinsed off. Follow with a cool water rinse.
DIY Avocado Face Mask for dry Skin
Here’s an avocado face mask recipe for dry skin:
- Mix together 2 tablespoons avocado, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 egg yolk.
- Apply to face and leave on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water followed with a cool water rinse.
Homemade Hair Treatments
Try these treatments for dry damaged hair, and hair that needs a quick boost in shine.
DIY Avocado Coconut Hair Mask
If you have dry or damaged hair, try an avocado and coconut milk hair conditioner:
- Mash an avocado until very smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup coconut milk and mix well.
- Comb the mixture into the hair.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse out avocado mixture with warm water. Follow with a cool water rinse.
DIY Rosemary Hair Treatment
This recipe will leave your hair shiny and smooth. The addition of rosemary essential oil will stimulate hair growth:
- Mix together 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 olive oil, 4 drops rosemary essential oil, and 1 teaspoon Xanthum gum.
- Store in an airtight bottle.
- Pour a small amount into the palm of your hand and gently massage into the scalp.
- Wrap hair in a shower cap or warm towel.
- Leave on hair for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and rinse with cool water.
Growing Strong Nails
Dry, splitting and thin fingernails are unattractive. Improve the health of your fingernails with this nail strengthening moisturizer that strengthens nails and pushes back the cuticles:
- Pour 2 teaspoons castor oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon wheat germ oil into a small bottle with a lid.
- Shake well before each use.
- Place a drop of the oil mixture on each fingernail and rub into the nail and cuticle area.
- Leave on for 5 minutes.
- Wipe off with a cotton ball or soft cotton cloth.
Alleviating Cracked Heels
Cracked heels can be painful. Here are a few recipes that will cure those dry feet and get you back in a pair of sandals:
- Mash 1 ripe banana and spread it on the cracked area of the foot. Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse off with cool water. Use on a daily basis.
- In a blender, mix 1 ripe banana and 1/2 of either an avocado or a coconut. Apply paste to the cracked heels.
When experimenting with homemade moisturizers, make a small amount at first and test the recipe on a small patch of skin to make sure there are no adverse effects. Your kitchen cupboard is full of moisturizing ingredients. Recipes with milk, yogurt, essential oils, honey and a host of other ingredients will leave your skin smooth and radiant.