Valentine's Day Candle Crafts
Candles play an important part in the Valentine’s Day festivities. Make Valentine’s Day special and intimate by adding a few homemade flourishes to a candle display. Here are a couple of ideas for a candle holder and a designer candle.
Valentine Heart in a Jar
Give your Valentine a heart in a jar with this super simple votive candleholder. With just a few recycled items, you can make a candleholder that can be used to hold votive lights, pillar candles, glow sticks and string lights.
Gather these tools to get started:
- A quart size Mason jar. Or, instead of throwing those food-grade glass jars in the recycle bin, wash the jars thoroughly and use as candleholders.
- Tissue paper. Choose appropriate Valentine colors such as red, white, pink, purple, silver and black.
- Mod Podge and craft brushes.
- Glitter. This is optional.
- Old newspapers. Makes clean-up easier.
To make a decorative Valentine candleholder, follow these steps:
- Lay the newspaperon the work surface. Use the newspaper to catch drops of Mod Podge.
- Tear or cut the tissue paper into small pieces. The pieces can be cut into hearts, flowersor irregular shapes.
- Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge on the outside of the jar. It may be easiest to work in small sections.
- Lay the tissue paper in a decorative pattern. The paper pieces should give the jar a stained glass style.
- Paint another thin layer of Mod Podge over the tissue paper.
- Add glitter if desired. Other adornments, such as ribbons, can be added after the glue has dried.
Instead of spending money on a designer candles, show your Valentine how much you really care by spending your hard earned time to make your own designer candles. It’s easy to turn a plain pillar candle into a Valentine treat.
Here are the tools you’ll need to get started:
- A pillar candle. Choose a light colored candle to best show the design. Solid white or light pink make good choices.
- Tissue paper. Again, white or a color that matches the candle is a good choice.
- Wax or parchment paper.
- Hair dryer with a low heat setting.
To put together the designer candle, follow these steps:
- Draw the design on the tissue paper. Use ink pens, felt tip markers or rubber stamps to create the design on the tissue paper.
- Place the design on the candle. Make sure that the design is in the desired spot and cover the design with wax paper.
- Set the hair dryer on a low heat setting and lightly melt the area under the design. The tissue paper will melt into the candle.
- Carefully remove the wax paper. Peel the paper away slowly so that the design does not pull away from the candle.
Let your Valentine know that they are special by creating one of these special gifts made just for them.