Single Day Projects For Home Improvement
You don't need lots of time or money for home improvements with a big impact. Lots of affordable projects can be accomplished in only a day.
Quick Fixes for Any Room
No matter which room you'd like to update, these quick projects provide an almost instant face-lift:
- Fresh paint: Change your whole color scheme with a new shade, or simply brighten your room with a fresh coat of your existing color.
- Window treatments: New curtains, shades or blinds either brighten or soften your room, while introducing new color if you choose.
- New lighting: Something as simple as new lamps brightens your space and defines your style.
- Dimmers and switch plates: Introduce subtle mood lighting with a dimmer switch you can install within an hour, or replace old switch plates with new ones that match your decorating style, color and themes.
- Accessories: You'd be surprised what a few sparkling vases, sculptures, centerpieces, new shelving or other accessories can do to perk up a room.
- Wall art: Brighten a dark room with a light sunny framed print, or add some deep warm colors to a pale one with a richly colored oil painting. Don't forget intricate tapestries for a cozy touch or mirrors for a feeling of light and space.
- Area rugs: These rugs add color, texture and definition to a room in addition to covering up worn flooring.
- Peel and stick flooring: In a few hours, you can install a brand new floor right on top of your existing one.
- Paint or refinish a door: Make any exterior or interior door look brand new again. Take this a step further by installing new doorknobs or handles.
- Rent a carpet steamer: You may discover that your carpet becomes a completely new color after you steam-clean it.
- Closet storage systems: These systems beautify your closets as well as your living space by giving you a convenient place to store what would otherwise become clutter.
- Rearrange the furniture: By just moving your existing furniture around, you'll get a new room without having to buy or install a thing.
Starting at the Top
Even though most people don't focus on a room's ceiling, fixing up this area really improves the appearance of any room. These ceiling improvements can all be completed in a day:
- Changing the lighting fixtures
- Installing a ceiling fan
- Adding a ceiling medallion.
Dramatic Living Room and Family Room Makeovers
A huge percentage of peaceful family time and fun visits with friends takes place in the living room or family room. Fixing up these well-used areas has a big impact on the whole house. Try these easy ideas for a fresh new space to socialize:
- Dress up your seating: Fitted slipcovers for sofas and upholstered chairs bring new colors, patterns and textures to your seating.
- Sprinkle some throw pillows: Accent pillows add little splashes of color for a more subtle change. Because these pillows are small, dramatic touches such as sequins, beads or shiny metallic fabrics won't overwhelm your room.
- Refinish or paint wooden furniture: Give your old wooden furniture a facelift or an entirely new look with paint or varnish. For a cozy cottage look, stencil on a pattern of hearts and flowers.
- Cover your tables: If you're looking for an instant furniture change, consider tablecloths for your coffee and end table. You don't have to stick to traditional tablecloths; tapestries, throws and even small hand-knit blankets dress up accent tables beautifully.
A New Look for Your Bathroom
Your bathroom offers lots of opportunities for quick and easy improvements. Here are just a few:
- Install a new showerhead and faucets.
- Replace your shower curtain and bathmat.
- Hang pretty new towels and washcloths.
- Replace your toilet seat bath.
- Add new bathroom accessories such as a toothbrush holder, garbage pail, bathroom-cup, rug, and soap dish.
Easy Bedroom Updates
Your bedroom can also become a serene new sanctuary within a day. Just introducing new bedding and decorative pillows transforms a bedroom instantly. Adding an electric fireplace adds warmth and atmosphere. You may also want to try some of these easy changes:
- Install a new headboard.
- Refinish your furniture.
- Display fresh flowers.
For a child's bedroom, some bright wall decals or favorite music/movie posters create a fun, new look.
Upgrading Your Kitchen
When thinking about kitchen upgrades, long-term, expensive projects usually come to mind. This doesn't have to be the case, however. Freshen up your kitchen by:
- Installing new cabinet and drawer pulls or knobs
- Adding colorful new face panels for major kitchen appliances
- Refinishing or painting of cabinets
- Installing ceramic tile over countertops
- Covering a countertop in decorative contact paper
- Replacing old small appliances
- Adding new chair pads and tablecloths
- Introducing attractive new dishes.