The Best Slow Cooker Recipes For Fall
When the season turns to fall, usually appetites turn to more hearty foods. A great way to get a variety of warm meals for the chilling temperatures is to use a slow cooker. All you do is throw the food in the cooker and let it do its thing - slow cook until it's a delicious, filling meal.
Many times people think of roasts and meat dishes, and while there are some recipes like that below, you can also make great vegetarian meals as well. With a slow cooker you can also use a variety of spices to cook with so you can have a spicy recipe one week and a traditional brisket the next.
Brisket and vegetables: 3 pounds of beef brisket, 1 head of cabbage cut into wedges, 1 large onion peeled and cut into pieces, 1 large sweet potato cut into pieces, 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into wedges, 2 cans of Campbell's Condensed Cream of Celery Soup, 1 cup of water, 2 teaspoons of caraway seeds (optional).
- Put all the meat in the slow cooker and add the vegetables on top. Stir the soup, water and caraway seeds and pour over the vegetables/meat mixture. Cover and cook on Low for eight to nine hours or high for four to five hours.
Beef and mushroom: 1 can of mushroom soup, 4oz can of sliced mushrooms, 1 envelope onion soup mix, ½ cup of milk, 2-pounds of stew meat.
- Add all the ingredients into the crockpot, cover with lid and cook on low for eight hours. You can serve it over rice -- and feel free to add other vegetables like onions, carrots and peppers.
Flavorful Pork: 3 pounds of pork shoulder, 2 packages of taco seasoning mix, chili powder (to taste), crushed red pepper (to taste).
- Add all the ingredients and add water so that the meat is covered. Place lid on the cooker and cook on low for eight hours.
Salsa and Chicken: 4 skinless chicken breast halves, 1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning mix, 1-cup salsa, ¼ cup light sour cream.
- Spray the crockpot with your desired cooking spray and add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on top and add the salsa and the cover. Cook on low for six to eight hours. When ready to serve stir in the ¼ cup of sour cream and enjoy.
Chicken Marrakesh: 1 sliced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves (optional), 2 peeled and diced carrots, 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes, 1 drained and rinsed can garbanzo beans, 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves cut into 2-inch pieces, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon ground turmeric, ½ ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes.
- Mix all the spices together in a bowl. Add all the foods, except the tomatoes, to the slow cooker. Sprinkle the spice mix over the chicken and vegetables and pour in the tomatoes. Stir to combine, cover and cook on high until the potatoes are tender and sauce is thick, roughly four to five hours.
Black Bean Soup: 1 pound dry black beans soaked overnight and rinsed before cooking, 4 teaspoons diced jalapeno peppers, 6 cups vegetable broth, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 ground cumin, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce.
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for four hours. Then reduce heat to low and continue cooking for two hours.
Stuffed Peppers: 1 can drained and rinsed red kidney beans, 1 package frozen corn, 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, ¼ cup salsa, ¼ cup chopped onion, 1 ½ cups cooked rice, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, 5 green bell peppers, tops removed and seeded.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl except for the cheese and peppers. Stuff peppers with the mixture and place in the slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for six to eight hours, or high for three to four hours. Sprinkle with the cheese during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
There are lots of recipes online for you to experiment with and you can even take some of your own favorite recipes and put them to the test in the slow cooker. The idea is to make foods that taste great, smell great and will be hearty enough to warm you on those chilled autumn days and nights. Whether you are watching a football game or creating Halloween crafts, cooking in the slow cooker will make your food preparation time easier as well as your food delicious.