Easy Cream Cheese Recipes
Cream cheese has become an incredibly popular ingredient in many recipes, including appetizers, desserts and entrees. Learn how to use this versatile fresh cheese product to add flavor and creaminess to dips, spreads, cakes and more. A sealed brick of cream cheese will last quite a while in your refrigerator, making it a flexible ingredient you can use easily when experimenting with new recipes.
Cream Cheese In Appetizers
- Cream cheese dips like crab dip or classic hot artichoke dip are hugely popular, but arguably one of the top cream cheese based appetizers in the U.S. is crab rangoon. This Asian classic is a folded and lightly fried egg roll wrapper filled with crab, green onion and cream cheese. Popular on Chinese buffets, it's fun and easy to make at home, too.
- Cream cheese is also frequently used as a spread for crackers when served as an appetizer. Leave plain, or mix with a variety of herbs. As a spread, it's easy to melt and customize, and can be combined with:
- Old Bay
- Lemon pepper
Cream Cheese In Savory Dishes
Cream cheese is a natural in sauces and soups because it doesn't separate as easily as many aged cheeses. It's also mild, which means it contributes richness and a luscious feel without altering the flavors of delicate dishes like leek soup and seafood chowder. You can add it to a classic fondue or use it as a creamy topping for fresh vegetables.
Cream Cheese in Desserts
It's in dessert dishes that cream cheese takes on superstar status. What would cheesecake be without cream cheese to create the perfect texture? Cream cheese is the main ingredient in an amazing frosting, too. It can be whipped into high, sustained peaks most associated with buttercream frosting, but adds just a hint of cheese flavor that keeps cream cheese frosting from tasting too sweet.
From its position on an appetizer platter to its addition to the rich dessert that ends a satisfying meal, cream cheese is a versatile, inexpensive, flexible and flavorful ingredient worthy of a spot on your grocery list.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Cream cheese frosting is a delicious and popular topping for many desserts. With a few simple ingredients and five minutes of preparation, you can enjoy cream cheese frosting for your next meal.
- Two cups of powdered sugar
- Four ounces of unsalted butter
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Four ounces of cream cheese
- Allow the butter and cream cheese to soften before making your cream cheese frosting. Leaving them hardened and cold can affect the consistency of the mixture.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until they have completely blended together.
- Set your electric mixer to the low setting, and continue to blend the mixture while adding in the powdered sugar. Pour in the sugar slowly, and mix until all ingredients are smooth, and have formed a creamy consistency.
- Finally, pour in the vanilla extract and blend thoroughly.
Cream Cheese Filling Recipe
Use cream cheese to create a rich and creamy filling for cupcakes and cakes.
- Eight ounces of cream cheese
- One quarter cup of milk
- One half cup of confectioner’s sugar
- Pour the confectioner’s sugar, milk and softened cream cheese into a large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined, and are smooth and creamy.
- Place the blended mixture in the refrigerator until you are ready to use as a cupcake or cake filler.
Whipped Cream Cheese Recipe
For an incredibly simple twist on classic cream cheese, make this easy to create whipped cream cheese recipe. Use as a spread on bagels or crackers to replace other common toppings.
- Eight ounces of cream cheese
- Three tablespoons of milk
- Allow the cream cheese to soften.
- Place the cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese to break it up.
- Slowly pour in the milk, while you continue to beat with the mixer. The cream cheese should begin to take on a light, airy, whipped texture as all the milk is combined.
- Mix in any herbs you prefer to give the whipped cream cheese extra flavor.
Try one of these easy cream cheese recipes for a tasty dessert frosting, cake or cupcake filling, or a delicious topping for bread and crackers.