Mason Jar Cake Recipes
You’ve already made some adorable crafts with mason jars, why not use them to bake? Mason jar cakes are easy to make, portable and incredibly cute. Cakes baked this way and sealed with a canning lid will last a week or longer! When packaged properly, these Mason jar cakes can be mailed to friends and family, making them great holiday or birthday gifts.
Here are a few tips for baking cakes in Mason jars, and some healthy and easy-to-prepare cake recipes that don’t require frosting (unless you want it!).
Scroll down for print & cut recipe cards!
Baking Tips for Mason Jar Cakes
- Consider using wide mouth jars. The straight sides make it easier to remove the cake from the jar. Just slide a knife around the inside of the jar and turn the jar over. Use small half pint sizes for individual-sized cakes.
- Grease the inside of the jars. Coconut oil, in solid form, can be spread around the inside with a paper towel. Flouring the inside of the jar after it has been greased also prevents the cake from sticking. A piece of waxed or parchment paper cut in a circle and placed in the bottom of the jar keeps the cake from sticking to the bottom of the jar.
- Use your favorite cake recipe or one of the recipes below. Fill the jars half full with the cake mix. Bake at 325 degrees F for 5 to 15 minutes longer than called for in the cake recipe. The lower and longer cooking times makes for a lighter cake. Begin checking the cake for desired doneness during the last 10 or 15 minutes of cooking time. Baking times will vary depending on the cake recipe and the size of the jar.
- Seal the jars. Just before the cakes come out of the oven, prepare the canning lids. While the cakes are hot, clean the jar rims and screw the lids on the jars.
The Good Part - Mason Jar Cake Recipes
Here are three simple recipes that can be mixed together in a matter of minutes. You don’t need any fancy gadgets! These mixes require a couple of bowls, a measuring cup and spoons, a sturdy whisk or mixing spoon and a wire strainer to sift the flour.
Pineapple Upside Down cake in a jar
This simple cake makes a gorgeous display when taken out of the jar.
- Arrange pineapple slices or chunks in the bottom of the greased and papered Mason jars. Substitute pears, peaches, apricots, blueberries, apples or pomegranate compote.
- Cream together 1/2 cup unsalted butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
- To the sugar mixture, beat in 3 room temperature eggs. Add one egg at a time and whip until smooth.
- Stir in 2/3 cup finely ground blanched almonds.
- Sift together 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into the sugar mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Applesauce-Ginger Spice cake in a jar
Spice cake is one of those cakes that most any one will enjoy. This rich but healthy version doesn’t need any frosting to be delicious.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 cup honey, and 1/3 cup vegetable oil.
- In a separate bowl, sift the following dry ingredients: 1-1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add 1/4 of the dry mixture at a time and mix until well-blended.
- Optional: Add 1/2 cup roasted peanuts and 1/2 cup sunflower seeds for additional protein. Add 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries for added sweetness.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 35 minutes.
Avocado Chocolate cupcakes in a jar
This moist, heavy and brownie-like cake contains heart healthy fats from avocados.
- Mash one ripe avocado (about1 cupmashed). Mix in 2 beaten eggs and 3/4 cupvegetable oil until well blended. Use your favorite oil or substitute unsweetened applesauce. Stir in 1 tablespoon vanilla and1 cupmilk.
- In a large bowl, mix together the following dry ingredients: 2-1/3 cupflour, ½ cup cocoa powder, 2/3 cupsugar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Now enjoy a delicious cake inside your easy to carry mason jar!
Print & Cut Recipe Cards: