Mason Jar Mixes Gift Ideas
Small gifts of food make perfect presents during the holidays, birthdays or other events throughout the year. Surprise your favorite party hostess with a Mason jar filled with potpourri. Fill a Mason jar with mulling spices for a teacher’s present. Give grandma a Mason jar of hot cocoa mix with marshmallow snowman faces and candy canes tied to the jar with ribbons. Make a Mason jar mix by simply layering dry ingredients in the jar (like colored sand art!), then tie with a pretty bow and other décor. You’re all set!
Here are more recipes for Mason jar mixes for the food lover.
Lentil Soup Mason Jar Mix
In a pint size mason jar, layer the ingredients in the following order with the first ingredient at the bottom of the jar:
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried onion
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup dried apples
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
Cut a circle of fabric to make a cover for the lid and attach a tag to the jar with the following cooking instructions:
- Place contents of the jar in a large saucepan with 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Makes4 cupsof soup.
Whole Wheat Pancake Mason Jar Mix
The following recipe will fill a quart jar:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
Pack the pancake mix with a gift of other kitchen utensils along with these cooking directions:
- Plain pancakes: Mix together 1 cup pancake mix, 1/2 cup milk, 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Banana pancakes: Use the plain pancake recipe and add 2 tablespoons yogurt, ½ cup applesauce and 2 mashed bananas.
Scented Sugar Mason Jar Mix
Scented sugar is a gift that everyone can use and will stay fresh for quite a while. Scented sugar can be used to make cookies or other holiday treats. Here’s how to make scented sugar:
- Fill the bottom of a Mason jar with 1/2 inch of sugar.
- Add a layer of your favorite scent.
- Continue adding a layer of sugar followed by a layer of scent until the sugar layer is on top and is 1/4 inch from the top of the jar.
- Put the lid on the jar and let set for a few days.
Here are some ideas for different scents:
- Citrus peel from lemons, oranges or grapefruit. Cut off the white pith and use only the colored part of the peel.
- Use rose petal sugar to sweeten tea.
- Give a gift from your garden with herbal sugars from mint and lavender.
- An alternative to sugar is a gift of scented salt. Add dried garlic, lemon zest or dried chili pepper to sea salt.
Wrap the Mason jar in a tea towel, tie with a ribbon and add a tag. Include helpful hints on how to use the scented sugar in cakes, cookies and tea.