Low Fat Vegetarian Soup Recipes
Soups don't need meat, fish or poultry to be filling, nutritious and delicious! If you're a vegetarian or just looking to add meatless meals to your diet, vegetarian soups will easily become family favorites.
Creamy Soup Recipes
These rich, creamy soups are just right for when you're looking for some hearty comfort food:
Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
Yield: 4 Servings
Calories per serving: 154
- 1 pound of fresh asparagus
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of chopped shallots
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup of almond milk
- ½ cup of plain yogurt
- 1½ teaspoons of lime juice
- Heat asparagus, shallots, onions and ½ cup of the vegetable stock in a saucepan until boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish, and then puree vegetable mixture in blender until smooth.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat, then sprinkle in flour, salt and pepper, stirring constantly.
- Cook flour mixture about two minutes.
- Add remaining vegetable broth, increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Mix in almond milk and blended vegetables.
- Stir in yogurt and lime juice.
- Garnish with asparagus tips.
Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
Yield: Eight Servings
Calories per serving: 319
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 2 cans of whole kernel corn, drained
- 1½ cups of milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup of light cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped parsley
- Sauté onions and garlic over medium heat until onions begin to brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, combine vegetables, milk, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and then mix in onions and garlic.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk flour and cream together in a bowl and stir into soup.
- Simmer an additional 10 minutes or so, until soup thickens.
- Just before serving, mix in fresh parsley.
Beans and Root Vegetable Soup Recipes
These homey soups are a delicious way to reap the health benefits of vegetables and beans:
Curried Beans and Greens Soup Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
Calories per serving: 186
- Olive oil for sauté
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of sugar snap pea pods, sliced
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- One bag or bunch of greens (kale, collards, mustard greens, spinach, Swiss chard or a mixture)
- 2 tablespoons of turmeric
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of allspice
- One can of white kidney beans
- One cup of whole wheat elbow macaroni
- In a large soup pot, sauté onions and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat until they begin to soften.
- Add vegetable stock and greens, stirring as much as possible to coat the greens in broth.
- As greens begin to cook down, add spices and pea pods. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Add beans and pasta, and cook for an additional eight minutes or so until pasta is cooked.
Simple Russian Borscht Recipe
Yield: 4 Servings
Calories per serving: 53 without sour cream. (Add 31 calories for each tablespoon of sour cream you stir into your soup.)
- 4 large beets, peeled, scrubbed and cut in bite sized chunks
- 3 cups of water
- 1¼ teaspoons of salt
- 2½ tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fresh, chopped dill
- Sour cream to taste
- Heat beets and salt in water over medium heat until water boils.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for about a half hour or until beets are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey, lemon juice, black pepper and dill.
- Serve hot or chilled, with a dollop of sour cream in each bowl.
Chilled Soup Recipes
Instead of a bowl of ice cream, why not cool off with these refreshing soups on a warm afternoon?
Chilled Berry Soup Recipe
Yield: Five servings
Calories per serving: 212
- 1 pint of strawberries
- ½ pint of blueberries
- ½ pint of raspberries
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- ½ cup of tangerine juice
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of water
- 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon of ginger
Puree all ingredients in a blender until thoroughly mixed. Chill and serve.
Yield: 5 Servings
Calories per serving: 301
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon of shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 5/8 cups of potatoes, sliced
- 2½ cups vegetable stock
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- Fresh chives for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cook leeks, onions and shallots gently in butter at low heat without letting leeks brown.
- Add vegetable stock, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for a half hour.
- Puree soup in a blender or food processor and chill before serving.
- Garnish with fresh, snipped chives.
Whether you like your soups sweet and creamy or light and savory, vegetarian soups are a satisfying way to make sure you're eating enough fruits and vegetables.
For more vegetarian recipes, see: